This dessert we’ve been perfecting for years – it’s truly timeless. Though it holds a special place on our dessert menu today, it originated a few years back when Chef Bill started experimenting with items from foreign menus. We created specials themed by different countries, and it was the week of Valencia, Spain when the Valencia Orange Cake was born.
It has remained on our menu for a few reasons. One, being that it is a delicious, lighter dessert option that after a full meal some Coho patrons tend to prefer. Another reason is that it is a gluten-free and dairy-free option, allowing a wider range of guests the opportunity to enjoy!
So to all you faithful patrons who follow us online, we would love to share this special recipe.
Valencia Orange Cake Recipe
- 2 organic Valencia oranges
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup of honey
- 2 cups of blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- Wash oranges and place in a pot with enough water to cover them. Add a tightly sealed lid. The oranges will float, but they should be mostly covered. Simmer them in the pot for about 1.5 to 2 hours. When you can easily glide a toothpick or fork through them, they are ready. You can add water to them while they are cooking, if necessary.
- Process the oranges whole until you have a smooth, orange paste without any lumps.
- Pour into bowl and mix in egg yolks, honey, almond flour, salt and baking soda until well blended.
- Whip egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold together.
- Pour batter into a greased 9-Inch round spring form pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 2 hours.
- Serve with chantilly cream.
Well there you have it, friends. Follow our guide and you’ll be sure to please everyone at your evening table.
« Previous Page