- 12 large Baby Portobello mushrooms
- 3 TBLS butter, approximately
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup fine soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian or apple sausage
- 2 TBLS cream or sherry, approximately
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Sweet marjoram, rosemary or oregano to taste
Preheat broiler, remove and chop the mushroom stems
In a skillet heat one tablespoon of the butter, add the onion and chopped mushrooms stems and cook about two minutes. Add the crumbs, sausage, seasonings and enough cream or sherry to moisten the mixture.
Place the mushroom caps on a baking sheet and brush with the remaining butter, melted. Broil, cup side down in a preheated broiler about two minutes. Invert and fill with the stuffing. Brush with melted butter and broil about three minutes longer.
Makes 6 appetizer portions