Vanilla-Saffron Poached Lobster with Parsnip Puree & Pickled Grapefruit
- 2 lobster tails (removed from the shell)
- 1 quart stock (any neutral stock)
- 1 vanilla bean split in half long way
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- Salt to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat the stock, vanilla, saffron, bay leaves and salt(the liquid should taste as salty as you want the finished lobster to taste but becareful as lobster has some salinity from the sea) in a sauce pan to it simmers very gently (about 190 degrees)
- Add lobster and cook until when pierced by a cake tester the center is warm (not hot ). Touch the tester to the back of your wrist to test temperature
- Set lobster aside to drain, to reheat lobster you can briefly submerge in the broth
- 4 large parsnips (about 3 cups of peeled and diced parsnips)
- Water (enough to cover the parsnips by at least 2 to 3 inches in a sauce pan)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan add parsnips, cold water and salt. The water should be seasoned as much as you want the finished product to be seasoned.
- Cook over medium heat until the parnsips are very soft, drain and set aside.
- In batches (if your blender is not big enough), puree the parnsips until very smooth. You may need to add a small amount water as you blend. Add pepper to taste when pureeing as well.
- Set aside
- 2 large grapefruit, segmented and juice reserved
- ½ cup of neutral vinegar
- ¼ cup of sugar or honey
- 1/8 cup of water (or reserved juice if you like grapefruit juice)
- 1 star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red chile flakes
- In a small sauce pan add the vinegar, honey or sugar, salt and spiced, and juice or water.
- Heat on medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and incorporated until the liquid. Once dissolved heat for 3 minutes. Turn off and set aside to let the liquid steep.
- Once the liquid is down to room temperature combine the segmented grapefruit and vinegar mixture together in a container and let marinate for 1 hour.
« Previous Page
- Place puree on a small plate
- Add warmed lobster tails
- Top with a few segments grapefruit and a few drops of the grapefruit marinate