Chef Bill’s gluten-free, dairy-free vegetarian cakes are a favorite even with the staunchest omnivore. Guests love these hearty and satiating cakes. They are perfect for small for appetizers topped with smoked salmon or crème fraîche, as a side to poultry or pork, or as an entree.
- 4 cups quinoa
- 1 yellow onion, medium dice
- 10 cloves garlic, medium dice
- 2 bunch kale, washed, drained, and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, medium dice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh thyme
- Prepared roasted red pepper coulis
- Bring 1 gallon of salted water to a boil. While you are waiting sauté your onions, carrot, and garlic over medium heat until your onions are translucent but not caramelized. Add the kale and fresh thyme and sauté for one minute. Remove veggies from heat, season lightly, and set aside. When water is boiling add quinoa and cook until grains are a little al dente some will start to burst, approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Drain quinoa but reserve cooking liquid, while quinoa is still hot take ½ and put in blender with a little of the cooking liquid and blend you will have to stop the blender and scrap down the sides add a little liquid at a time until the quinoa is a thick paste.
- Mix whole quinoa with veggies and quinoa paste and work with a spatula until incorporated. Spread out onto a greased ½ sheet pan 1 ½ to 2 inches thick (or a casserole dish works well too; you don’t want it to be too thick or it won’t cook through, and if it’s too thin, it will break apart.)
- Cool in refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight to set.
- To serve cut into 4 inch squares and pan fry in olive oil until both sides are golden brown and crispy. Serve topped with roasted red pepper coulis.
« Previous Page