Double Ginger Ice Cream
The fresh ginger adds intense flavor to this ice cream. Though it’s a favorite at the restaurant, if you’re preparing this for people who are not quite the ginger fanatics that we are, you may want to decrease the amount of fresh ginger.
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
¼ cup fresh ginger, grated
Pinch of salt
8 egg yolks
¾ cup sugar
2 – 3 Tablespoons diced crystallized ginger (I use Trader Joe’s or Frontier – both are wonderfully moist and flavorful.)
1. Heat cream, milk, fresh ginger, and salt. Bring to simmer about 20 minutes. Cool slightly or refrigerate overnight.
2. Whisk together egg yolks and sugar in a separate bowl.
3. Strain milk mixture and reheat gently. Add ½ cup of the heated milk to the egg yo;l mixture, stirring constantly to prevent curdling/.
4. Add the remaining milk to the eggs. Transfer bak to the pot.
5. Heat for another 3 to 5 minutes, until custard coats the back of a wooden spoon.
6. Add crystallized ginger and refrigerate overnight.
7. Transfer to an ice cream make and process according to manufacturer’s directions.
This ice cream is a perfect dessert for a “make your own” sushi party or after an Indian dinner.
Source: Coho Restaurant