6-8 crimini mushrooms
1 small fennel bulb and part of the green stalks
2 red bell peppers
3 Tbsp olive oil
4-5 red potatoes
2, 3# sugar pie pumpkins
3-5 Tbsp finely minced ginger root
3-5 garlic cloves
2 cans coconut cream
4-6 cups vegetable stock
Season to taste
salt and pepper
- Cut vegetables, except the potatoes along with one pumpkin, into 1/2-inch cubes. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 425 degrees until the edges of the vegetables are golden brown and caramelized but not mushy.
- Cut the other pumpkin in half, remove seeds and place cut-side-down on an-oiled baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees until soft.
- Cut the red potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. Boil in lightly salted water until they can be pierced with a fork but are still a bit hard.
- Scoop out the soft cooked pumpkin. Blend with an immersion blender. Add two cans coconut cream.
- Place puréed pumpkin and coconut cream, remaining vegetables, garlic and ginger, and stock in a large soup pot. Heat to a gentle simmer.
- Season to taste.
Note: Substitute chicken stock in lieu of vegetable stock or coconut milk instead of coconut cream for a lighter soup.