Carrot Soup with Star Anise
1 1/2 oz European unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
6 thyme sprigs
5 whole star anise, divided
2 bay leaves
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 lb carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 cups house made chicken broth
finely ground sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
sour cream or crème fraîche, optional
garnish thyme sprigs, optional garnish
- Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, thyme, 3 star anise, bay leaves, and garlic.
- Sauté until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and broth; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove thyme, star anise, and bay leaves. Purée soup in small batches with a food processor or immersion blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made one day ahead and refrigerated.)
- To serve – garnish with sour cream and whole star anise with sprig of thyme.
- Makes 4 servings.