Makes 8 servings | Dairy Free, Soy Free, Nut Free, Gluten-Free*
- 1/2 lb ground chopped beef or Italian-style sausage
- 1/2 lb lean, thick-cut bacon, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 8 oz cooked cannelloni beans, drained
- 8 oz cooked lima beans, drained
- 8 oz cooked dark kidney beans, drained
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2-1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- finely ground sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Brown beef or sausage, bacon, and onion in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Mix in all remaining ingredients and simmer 2 hours, or put in a crock pot overnight on low.
- Season to taste.
This recipe comes from Heather Houde, one of our neighbors from Maryland. She used to live in New England, and won several County Fair ribbons for her beans. Substitute Barbecue Sauce or Chef Ryan's mop sauce
in lieu of ketchup, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar.
*Gluten Free Option:
Check sausage and bacon for allergens.